How do I take care of my costumes?
At Rivar’s, we strive to produce the highest quality garments on the market. With that being said, there are certain procedures you can follow to prolong your garment’s life. Here are some tips and tricks to keep your costumes clean and looking fabulous.
- Use only clear/non-whitening deodorant to avoid white stains on your garments. When you use clear deodorants, particularly gel or roll-on, make sure to let the deodorant dry before putting your arms against the costumes. Here are some recommendations from directors and former students:
- When necessary, hand wash garments in cold water and hang to dry. If you hang dry stretchy materials, it’s a good idea to lay them flat or fold them over on a hanger so that they don’t expand while they dry.
- The washing machine is not your friend. Never machine wash or dry clean your garments. Washing and drying them in a machine can break the garments down, strip them of their sequins and rhinestones, and fade their color. Our dress shirts and the garments entirely made with matte jersey or stretch velvet are the only exceptions to this rule.
- Avoid using hairspray while wearing the performance apparel, particularly the costumes with sequins and glitter. We recommend wearing a “cover-up” to avoid the spray coming into direct contact with the fabric. Throw on your group’s spiritwear to show school pride and keep your costumes feeling fabulous instead of sticky!
- Avoid direct exposure to heat and sunlight. Both of these can drastically fade the vibrancy of our fabrics. Your costumes will shine brighter in the spotlight than in the sunlight! To keep your costumes clean and safe during travel, consider garment bags with a good lining and solid zipper to prevent outside elements from getting on your costumes.
We want you to shine as bright as our costumes, so follow these rules and you’ll be sure to stand out. For all other questions about fabric care contact us at 1-800-775-4829 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.